I've been painting them with standard polish at home but it's really quite underwhelming. My nails look pretty for a day and then they chip. And chip some more. By the third day I'm removing my polish and throwing my hands up in the air.
You start your manicure off by shaping your nails and lightly buffing the nail using the included buffer. After you have shaped and buffed you will need to ensure there is no dirt, dust or oil on your fingernails as this will interfere with the curing process. Take a cotton ball soaked in nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol and cleanse your nails allowing them to dry before moving on to the next step.
Shake your bottle of Sensationail vigorously and apply a thin coat to your nails, capping the free edge (tip) of your nail. Gel polish is quite thick; be careful not to paint a thick coat as it can cause the gel to shrink. You also want to make sure that you avoid your skin and cuticles. Once your nails are painted you simply place your hand into the lamp to cure for 30 seconds. Repeat with a second coat and voila, you have a gorgeous gel mani!
- Prep your nails; file, shape and lightly buff the shine off of your nails to ensure the best adhesion of the gel to your nails
- Ensure your cuticles are pushed off of your nail; trim them if necessary
- Use 100% pure acetone or rubbing alcohol to clean your nails of oil and dust
- Don't touch your hair or face after cleaning them (this will transfer oil to them)
- Paint very thin coats; Too thick and they will peel (figured out the hard way)
- Take your time! Make sure there is no gel on your skin. It is very hard to remove after curing
And that's it! All that's left is to enjoy your shiny gel manicure. I plan on updating this post to let you all know how long my mani stayed beautiful.
You can find Sensationail at select Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart and Rexall Drug stores.
Have you tried Sensationail gel polishes before? Do you have any tips on maintaining or removing a gel manicure? Let's talk! Share your tips in the comment section below 👇
*PR samples were provided for editorial consideration. As always, all opinions are my own!