Friday, April 22, 2016

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Collection


I love being a brunette.  Like a lot of people I do get bored and like to switch up my hair colour from time to time but I always return to brown.  It was the colour I was born with and it suits me the best.  I have naturally medium to dark brown hair and love the richness of it.  I prefer it on the darker side so I usually use semi-permanent dyes to go a shade or two deeper.  Up until now that was the only way to get a deeper,  richer colour.  Thanks to John Frieda,  I can *possibly* skip the dye and achieve darker, deeper tones with shampoo, conditioner and a darkening treatment!

John Frieda has introduced two new collections in the Brilliant Brunette line, Visibly Deeper and Visibly Brighter.  A line for those who want to lighten their brown and those who want to deepen it. Influenster recently sent me the Visibly Deeper collection (shampoo,  conditioner and treatment) to test and I couldn't be more pleased!

First up,  the shampoo.  It's tinted brown and smells really nice.  It doesn't lather up very much (it does have sulfates) and I found I needed to use a little bit more than I'm used to.  When I rinsed my hair it felt good and was easy to comb through. Typically I always condition after but as per the instructions for the deepening treatment,  I didn't.

The second step in achieving deeper tones is to apply the deepening treatment and leave it in for 5 minutes to a maximum of 10 minutes.  The box shows a before picture of warm, medium brown hair (very similar to my hair colour currently) and a very promising after photo of cool, dark brown hair.  I wanted to achieve this so I decided to wash my hair in the sink and leave the treatment in for as long as possible.  The instructions say to apply a generous amount and then to comb through.  I did just that and waited 10 minutes before hopping in the shower.  So did I get the results I was hoping for?  Not really.

When I stepped out of the shower the only thing that was dyed dark brown were my hands.  The dye clung to dry patches on my hands and took a fair amount of scrubbing to remove.  My hair however looked no different aside from being shiny (sigh).  I didn't give up hope and continued using it. After the third use I noticed a slight richness to my hair.  Nowhere near the before and after pictures on the box though.

Finally,  the conditioner.  It is also tinted brown and smells great.  Since I had to increase the amount of shampoo I used I expected the same for the conditioner but I was wrong.  A little went a long way.  The conditioner left my hair feeling hydrated, soft and shiny.

All in all this line is good although I must admit that I was expecting more from the deepening treatment.  I was hoping to get a much deeper brown and so far have only experienced a slight difference. Perhaps with continued use I will see better results.

Have you tried any of the new Brilliant Brunette products?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

*Products were sent to me complimentary of Influenster and the brand.  All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment