Sunday, October 30, 2016

Clarins Palette 4 Couleurs In 03 Brown | Review + Swatches

When it comes to makeup, I typically default to nude eyes and a bold lip. It's a classic look that I'm comfortable with. But one of the biggest joys of makeup is pushing boundaries. I've decided to play up my eyes with deeper colours, the timeless smokey eye and the cut crease looks that are everywhere on Instagram.

Admittedly, I'm not overly comfortable wearing deep, intense eye looks. Instead of diving into discomfort, or giving up entirely, I've decided to gradually work myself up to it. I've been experimenting with Clarins Palette 4 Couleurs in 03 brown and I have to say, it's pushed me closer to my makeup goals!


Available in 3 different shade choices (01 Nude, 02 Rosewood and 03 Brown) the Clarins Palette 4 Couleurs does not disappoint! These versatile palettes come in a variety of finishes (matte, satin and pearl) and can be used dry for a natural look or wet for an intense look. Either way you choose to wear them, they provide intense pigmentation that is very blendable, with minimal fallout. They are dermatologically and opthamololigically tested and offer skin improving ingredients.

As I've recently hit a milestone birthday, I've started to notice subtle changes in my skin, mainly to my eye area. Textural changes. It's not noticeable until I apply eye shadow, mainly shimmery or metallic finishes. Primer or not, it's there. For some reason, these eye shadows don't highlight it (thank god). I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining!

When applied dry, these eye shadows looked classic and natural. They applied evenly and blended like a dream. To be honest, this palette out performed so many cult classics in the pigment/blending area. I found it incredibly easy to transition shades, from lid to crease to brow bone, my shadow and blending looked almost professional.

It is important to mention that the lightest shade doesn't show up well without primer. As you can see in my swatches, it's practically nonexistent.  When worn on my lids with a primer, it does indeed show up. Without a primer, it just blends into my skin.  I think a lot of that has to do with my skin tone. I feel like it would show up better on someone with darker skin. Just a thought 😉


Applying it wet took a little more finesse. The shades were much deeper and very intense, although still very blendable. I did find it to settle into my crease when wet whereas it didn't when applied dry. 

Once set (I always set my makeup with setting spray) my eyes looked great all day. I did find that when I applied the shadows wet they looked better at the end of the night opposed to when they were applied dry. This is due to the the added intensity you get when you use them wet.

Verdict? This palette is worth it in every way! The shades are beautiful, blendable and truly a delight to wear. I highly recommend Clarins Palette 4 Couleurs for fall!

You can find these palettes at The Hudson's Bay Clarins counter and online at www.clarins.ca for $43

Have you tried any of the Palette 4 Couleurs? Is there an eye shadow palette you're crushing on? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

*I received this palette as a gift. As always, all opinions are my own!




1 comment: